Monday 13 March 2017

I'm Krishna the dark-skinned snake-charmer


 This summer during my annual trip in India I went to Shantiniketan, and fulfilled my heart's desire to meet the Bauls of Bengal and record their songs. This was to a great extent possible thanks to Soumya-da, who also kindly put me up in his house, Jorabari. Laxman Das Baul, a lovely person and a fantastic singer and musician, touched me deeply with his renderings. Here's a song I take great pleasure in singing, thanks to him. I've translated the song to the best of my capacities, trying to convey the lilt and rhythm of the Bengali version. And I've uploaded the song on sound cloud for music lovers.

Laxman in his house, tuning his dotara




https://soundcloud.com/arunima-choudhury/amar-nam-kalo-krishno-bede






















আমার ঘর বাড়ি নাই , সকল ঘরে বেরাই
আমি সাপ ধরি বন জঙ্গলে হ্রদে,
আমার নাম কালো কৃষ্ণ বেদে ।। 

যত ঘর দেখ সকলি আমার, 
সকল ঘরে আমার সমান অধিকার  
আমি করি সাপের খেলা, দেখে কুলবালা,  
গলার মোতিমালা খুলে দেই আমারে ।।  

ডোরা, বোড়া, চিতি আর অজগর 
কুশল করে ধরি অতি বিষধর।  
আমি দেখি সাপের খরা , দিই ধুলোপড়া 
তখন কুঁচে পরা সাপ ধরি অবলে ।। 

নীলকণ্ঠ বলে শোন বলি রাই, 
ওই বেদিয়ার বেসে তোমার কালো কানাই  
তুমি দুর কর রোষ , হও হে সন্তোষ 
তোমার হৃদি ভরা ধন ধর হে হৃদে ।। 

I have no house to call my own,
Yet I wander from home to home,
I catch snakes, in woods forests and lakes,
I’m Krishna, the dark-skinned charmer of snakes

Every house you see is mine,
I have equal rights in every house.
The village women seeing me play with snakes,
Gift me their pearl necklaces.

The most venomous of snakes,
I bend to my will . Boa, viper and krait, 
I catch with skill.On their raised hoods,
I sprinkle some dust. They wilt to the earth,
And I hold them with ease.

Says the blue throated one “listen o Radha,
In the garb of the snake-charmer is your dark Kanhaiya. 
Let go of your anger. Be at peace.  
Embrace in your heart your heart’s bliss. 





No comments:

Post a Comment